Hi Folks, Here is another important alternative medicine to learn about. TRANSPERSONAL THERAPY! The mind is our greatest wealth and the health of our minds should have supreme importance. The transpersonal therapy aims at attaining maximum mental health. Plz share and like this article.. Thanks :)
Hi Every body, today I want to introduce SOUND THERAPY! This is a special form of alternative medicine that has proven to be very beneficial for some. This article explains all about it and how it can help you. Plz share and like it. Thanks. Hope you enjoy this one. :) http://homeremedieslog.com/alternative-medicines/sound-therapy/overview-7/
Addiction is a condition that is treatable. It is something that doesn’t happen by itself, it will require commitment, courage, support and the desire to change. Whether you are looking for a addiction treatment facility for yourself, or for a loved one who is suffering from a substance abuse problem, the right kind of treatment can help.
What Are The Different Types Of Addiction Treatments?
People often think that there is only one type of treatment for any kind of addiction. We often see people in the media being checked-in to fancy in-patient rehabilitation centers that not many can afford. However, there are actually different types of addiction treatment services that can help those suffering from a drug or alcohol addiction. Families of the addicted should remember that one round (or even one year) of treatment is rarely enough to make a person change or fully recover from there treatment . Most of the time, people need several types of programs and treatment so that they can fully get over their addiction.
Some types of addiction treatment services offering treatments are as follows.
These programs vary, mostly depending on what the patients or the patients’ family are willing to pay. A regular program may last for thirty days or longer. During this time, the patient is not allowed to leave the facilities. Some insurance companies only cover addiction treatment services that are considered low-cost, while others will pay for more lavish care.
In these communities, patients are provided with medication and they undergo counseling sessions to help them succeed. When they are not participating in a counseling session or activity, they are asked to do chores around the facility. Studies show that patients who stay at these types of centers for 90 days of longer have a higher chance of improving .
There are some things that might keep people who are suffering from a drug addiction the ability to step into an inpatient treatment program. These things include demanding careers or young children. These individuals may benefit from different outpatient programs. Programs like these vary in intensity depending on the individual who is undergoing treatment. There are times when they have to spend the entire day at the facility, and other times when they are only required to participate for a couple of hours a day.
No matter what type of treatment the individual suffering from addiction chooses, all treatment centers provide some sort of therapy. The main goal is to change how the person who is addict thinks. There are two types of therapies which are used:
This is a one-on-one session with a therapist. They will focus on what triggers cravings. Hypnosis may be used to help the addicted deal with painful memories or to help them open up. This type of therapy can focus on the strengths and abilities of the addict in order to help them fight their cravings.
This type of program was originally for those suffering from alcohol abuse problems and was pioneered by Alcoholics Anonymous. This is when the individual addicted meets with a group who are struggling with the same program. They teach that the addiction is too strong to fight alone, and that they need help from a higher source or power. The addicts are encouraged to walk through the entire program, step by step. These steps are designed so that the individual addicted can leave behind the pain and the guilt which are associated with past behaviors. 12 Step programs have proven to be effective especially as part of alcohol addiction treatment, cocaine addiction treatment and marijuana addiction treatment. But there are 12 step programs for just about every addiction type you can think of. Many people are able to get over their addiction by following the 12 steps of addiction recovery.
Many medical centers provide medication therapies to help their patients heal. A lot of people suffering from a drug addiction, heroin addiction in particular, can benefit from these types of therapies. For example heroin addiction treatment often uses the methadone program. There are some patients who will need this for maintenance, and others who have to stay on medication for the rest of their life. However, there are also some centers that provide holistic care instead of medication therapies. These centers have addiction treatment services such as acupuncture, biofeedback, reflexology and massage to help their patients heal.
Dual Diagnosis Therapies
There are a number of people suffering from a drug addiction problem who also have a mental disorder. In fact, about four million adults in the United States who have been suffering from an addiction problem, were also diagnosed with a mental health problem . It is often important that these psychological manifestations are dealt with alongside of an addiction issue. For example Many people who abuse pot also have paranoia or anxiety and it is necessary these are addressed in an overall marijuana addiction treatment. Another example would be a short attention span disorder associated with speed type drug abuse that should be included in a cocaine addiction treatment.
The common health issues related to substance abuse problems include obsessive compulsive disorder, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and severe depression. If not treated, the mental health symptoms may worsen during the detoxification process, when the patient goes through the withdrawal phase. Most addiction treatment centers focus on the co-existing problems to help patients deal with their symptoms and eventually heal.
Opiate and Heroin Addiction Treatment
Morphine, Heroine and a few prescription pain killers such as Vicodin, Fetanyl and OxyContin fall under the class known as opiates. These drugs act on a specific receptor found in the brain. These interact with substances naturally produced by the body – enkephalins and endorphins – which regulate emotion and pain. Scientific research has lead to the discovery of effective heroin addiction treatment or indeed any opiate addiction. This includes :
Methadone: this is a known effective treatment for heroin addiction which was first discovered in the 1960s.
Naltrexone: this is an opioid receptor blocker which joined the medications inventory as early as the year 1984. It has been proved to reverse the effects of overdose.
Buprenophone: this is the newest type of treatment which is known to act on the same receptors as morphine and heroin. It can relieve cravings without dangerous side effects.
Alcohol Addiction Treatment
The overall goal for alcohol addiction treatment is abstinence. Recovering alcoholics need the help and support of their friends, family and loved ones. Studies show that alcoholics with otherwise good health, motivation and social support have a good chance at recovery . There are three stages to alcohol treatment:
1. Detoxification – this is needed immediately after the alcoholic decides to stop drinking. Symptoms of withdrawal, hallucinations, seizures, and in some cases, death can result from this process if not done under supervision.
2. Rehabilitation – forms of counseling, therapy and different types of medication can be administered through the rehabilitation process. The alcoholic will need to learn the skills needed to maintain sobriety.
3. Maintenance – this is an on-going step which requires commitment and a positive attitude. The recovering alcoholic will need support from family and friends or in the form of a self-help group.
Are There Addiction Treatment Options?
The first step is really for the addicted person to acknowledge that they need help in order to get over their addiction. However, contrary to popular belief, an individual who is suffering from addiction does not necessarily have to subject themselves to treatment in order to get better. There are many individuals who have benefited from treatment programs after being “forced” by family members, friends, loved ones or even the legal system to undergo treatment.
There are benefits to trying multi-faceted approaches when it comes to recovery. Since addictions are not only chemical dependencies, looking for treatment that can help the individual suffering when it comes to their emotional needs and other things. Frequent monitoring should be offered during the early days of recovery. This is when withdrawal may be at its worse. It is easy for the individual who is addicted to slip back into their old habits. A center that offers a close watch is one that you should look out for.
How To Choose An Addiction Treatment Center
Not all of those suffering from an addiction problem will want to subject themselves to treatment. For most, the idea of entering a treatment facility can be scary. Individuals with an addiction problem should be encouraged to undergo treatment and they need to know more about what is involved so that they can feel more comfortable at the center.
Most family members might choose a center based on their insurance company. There are some insurance companies that will cover different types of treatment, but will not cover other forms. There are also ones who will only cover treatment for a set period of time. It is best to learn more about the options available and contact your insurance company.
For those who intend to cover the entire cost of their treatment, the options are vast. It is best to remember that no addict or type of addiction is the same. This means that one treatment that may have worked for a certain individual will work with the next. You have to look into the severity of the addiction, the personality of the patient and any other conditions that might be present.
If you are looking for a treatment center for yourself or a loved one, it is best that you learn more about your options. Here are some links that can help you find a treatment center for you:
- Psychology Today Treatment Centers http://treatment.psychologytoday.com/rms/?utm_source=www&utm_medium=speclink&utm_campaign=topnav_find_treatment
- Drug Treatment http://www.drugtreatment.com/
- Treatment 4 Addiction http://www.treatment4addiction.com/
Or, if you need to speak to someone about addiction treatment, you can call these numbers:
When looking through your addiction treatment options, there are a couple of things that you should look for:
- Program accreditation and licensing: be sure that the treatment program is accredited by the state that it is in. It’s okay to take a look at the facility first before choosing that particular center. Find out if it is run by well-trained, licensed medical professionals and specialists who focus on addiction.
- The effectiveness of the treatment methods: you can find out about the treatment center you are interested in by learning more about their success rates.
- Type of aftercare offered: look for a treatment center that offers aftercare programs. This can help addicts overcome or prevent their relapses.
Drug Addiction Relapses During Treatment
No matter how positive the outlook is for a patient, there are certain triggers that can pull individuals into relapsing. This means that they could go back to their old patterns of substance use. The causes which lead to relapse can be different for each person. Some of the common things that can trigger a relapse include the following :
- Negative emotions (ie. anger, stress, sadness)
- Physical pain which includes withdrawal symptoms
- Testing personal control
- Conflict with loved ones
- Social pressures
It is important to remember that just because an individual relapses, does not mean that the treatment is not working or it has failed. The individual has merely fallen off the wagon and will need more support than ever. If you, or a loved one have relapsed in the midst of treatment and would like to overcome the strong feelings which are pulling your to temptation, the following things might help:
- Mediate and focus on the positive
- Give yourself a break and take a long hot bath or shower
- Light a scented candle
- Do some breathing exercises
- Remember why you were in treatment in the first place
- Exercise to release endorphins
- Call someone you love for emotional support 
Addiction Treatment Facts
Once you have decided to undergo treatment, it is time to explore the choices that are available. When looking for the right treatment center, there are some things you have to know. Here are a couple of substance addiction treatment facts that you should know about :
- There is no magic treatment that can fix a person in just a couple of days or weeks
- Each person is different and not all treatments work the same
- Treatments should address more than just the drug abuse
- Commitment is really the key
- There are a lot of places to go to if one needs help
Substance Abuse And Addiction Complications
There are a number of risks associated with addiction. It is important for an individual to know that going “cold turkey” is not the solution. Looking for the right treatment program is vital. Possible complications of addiction include relationship problems, poverty and homelessness, serious medical problems, severe mental or emotional trauma, relationship problems, contraction of diseases (ie. sexually transmitted diseases), attempt of suicide and even death . It is important that you or your loved one who is struggling with the addiction to look for help right away. If you know anyone struggling with an addiction problem, call these numbers:
Additional Articles On Addiction Treatment
If you want to know more about addiction treatment and centers available near your residence, you should read these articles on substance abuse and addiction:
- Journal Of Substance Abuse Treatment. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15797639
- The National Institute On Drug Abuse. http://www.drugabuse.gov
- National Drug Intelligence Center. http://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic/ndic-moved.html#What
- Help Guide. http://www.helpguide.org/mental/drug_abuse_addiction_rehab_treatment.htm
- Overcoming Addiction. http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200910/overcoming-addiction
- Web MD. http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/alcohol-abuse/understanding-alcohol-abuse-treatment
The next major addiction type that affects so many is GAMBLING ADDICTION. This article looks at the compulsive gambler, some alarming statistics and explains some treatment options. The article has some insightful videos that help depict how serious this can be. Hope you enjoy this article and please share/like it. Comments are good too. For instance, my personal opinion on Casinos is they are EVIL, they prey on vulnerable people and can ruin lives. If I had my way, they would all be banned. Thank you for your likes/shares, they really help :)
Alcohol Addiction Facts
Many people know all about the health and social effects of alcoholism but still continue drinking. The facts however are more alarming;
- One fact is that alcohol abuse will sooner or later harm your live either health wise or socially.
- It’s no surprise that 5000 people under 21 years of age die every year in USA only because of alcohol. This includes car accidents, homicides and alcohol poisoning.
- Alcohol impairs judgment and as a result bad activities like drunk driving, violence and inappropriate sexual activities will take place and in most cases cause death and diseases.
- Another scary fact is that 70% of college and high school students take alcohol and in most case go to intoxication levels.
- 17% of men and 8% of women are alcoholics.
- Alcoholism is the third leading cause of death all over the world after cancer and heart disease which by the way are also cause mostly by alcohol abuse.
- Alcoholism is a disease and can’t be treated with will power only. People die from withdrawal symptoms when they try to quit without medical help.
Along with the facts are statistics carried out by National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism and WEBMD.
- In USA alone one in every 14 adults is an alcoholic.
- Three million teenagers in America alone have an alcohol problem.
- Every family has at least one family member who has an alcohol problem.
- Only one third of alcoholics get medical help, the rest struggle to death.
- Research done by the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention shows that more than half of Americans are regular drinkers.
- There are three times more men with a drinking problem than women and this explains the higher population of women.
Tai Chi/Qi Gong is based on the concept that the universal vital energy known as Qi (Chi) is within and around all human beings irrespective of the difference in age, caste, creed and color. People, who want to have access to this power, will have to develop Chi (Qi) and it can be learned with the help of a qualified teacher.
According to this concept, the human body has energy pathways called meridians and the energy known as Qi or Chi flows through these pathways and diseases and other problem occur when the free flow of “chi” is blocked or becomes imbalanced. A person will have to practice Tai chi/Qi Gong to improve this flow of energy through graceful and gentle movements in a repeated manner. Yin and Yang are the two opposite forces that are present in the nature as well as in the body and these forces will be in a balanced state in a perfectly healthy body. The Tai Chi and Qi Gong movements will always focus on restoring the balance between Yin and Yang to have a perfect health condition.
Osteopathic Home Remedies
- Ice packs can be applied on the neck after around 2 days.
- After using the ice for few days, you can change to heat by using warm showers and heating pads to relieve the pain on the neck.
- Non-steroidal and anti-inflammatory painkillers can also reduce the neck pains such as naproxen, aspirin, brufen and acetaminophen.
- Gentle and thorough massage on the paining area can significantly reduce the stress.
- Maintaining a straight posture can enhance healing of the neck. You should avoid straining the head when using a computer. It is also appropriate to sit on a chair that facilitates good posture. Keep the computer monitor at the eye’s level.
- Take regular breaks when sitting as it could strain the neck hence accelerating the pain.
- It is always recommended that you sleep on a flat and firm mattress. The condition may require that you abandon the pillow or use cervical pillow in order to control the neck pain.
- Exercises that focus on strengthening the neck are necessary as they improve motion range and loosen tight muscles.
Page 1 of 8